Sunday, March 24, 2013

They're Growing!

I am really having spring fever this year and I can't wait for spring to arrive so I've started bringing the spring indoors.  I also hate waiting all summer for new blooms so I've started growing indoors this year.  I promised a post on New Growth #2 so here it is...
Here are 4 ideas on how to grow:

Reuse and recycle things that you already have to grow indoors.  I used toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls, or wrapping paper rolls.  However, the toilet paper rolls seem to be molding so I would choose one of the others if I had to go back and do it again.  It kind of makes me think twice about using them for kids crafts too.

1.) Growing garden seeds indoors:

You could always spend a little more money and just buy a seed starter kit at the store but this really worked good because I like to reuse anything I can to save money and the environment.  I got this idea from Intuition Physician Blog.

Step one:  Save plastic containers, cardboard tubes...i.e. Strawberry containers, lunch meat containers, and paper towel rolls



Step two: Pick out some flower seeds or garden seeds that you would like to start indoors.  Honestly, I wouldn't waste my time with hardy annuals that will grow pretty fast and strong outdoors after the fear of frost.  I bought perennial seeds last year when they were on sale and I chose Lavender, Columbine, Pampas Grass, Sweet William, and Lupine.  I'm also starting my tomato's and peppers so I don't have to buy a start this year.  Make sure to follow the instructions on the seed pack.  Even if it sounds weird.  The lupine pack gave some instructions completely different then the rest of the seeds such as put them in the refrigerator.  I'm sure glad I followed the package instructions precisely because they are sprouting up already and I haven't gotten them out of the fridge yet.


Step Three:   Cut your cardboard tubes to fit your plastic containers.


Step Four: Fill your tubes with healthy potting soil.



Step Five:  Water, plant seeds either on top of the soil or slightly in the soil depending on the instructions.  I had tried to grow Sweet Williams for years now I was planting them slightly within the soil like my other seeds said but this seed needed to be planted right on top of the soil. I did that this year and they grew like crazy.  Then Water again.

Step Six:  Put them in a warm sunny place unless of course your package says to put them in the fridge or somewhere else. Keep watering them.  I watered them twice a day when they were seeds and once a day once they started to grow that seemed to work well.  I used a spray bottle to mist the water on most the seeds and it didn't disrupt the soil.  I also covered the plants with the plastic tops and it gave the plants a small green house effect.
*Don't forget to label them so you remember what you are growing and where.

Then watch them grow.  Pay attention to the germination dates on your packages I almost gave up on my columbines but they have a 30 day germination period so I'm still watering them and I'm starting to get some to grow.

2.)  Growing trees

Step One:  Sprout your seeds.  I took my seeds out of our fruit from the grocery store.  Put them in a wet paper towel either in a clear plastic container or a plastic bag.  Water the paper towel and then place them in the sun.  Continue to check on the seeds and water the paper towel when it dries.  I used Pear, Apple (all kinds), lemon, and orange seeds.  My lemon and orange seeds haven't sprouted yet but they may take more time.


Step two: Once they sprout put them in soil in a plastic cup.  Make sure you put wholes in the bottom of the cup so that the water can drain.
 
 
Step Three: Water them everyday and watch them grow.  Plant apple and pear trees outdoor in the spring or fall.  You may want to research more information on what trees will grow well in your area.
 


*If you live in cold weather you could plant lemon or orange trees in a pot and bring them indoors in the winter.  The leafs and plant of the trees are really pretty. *If you use clear cups you can see the roots grow.

3.) Avocado

Step One: Put three to four toothpicks near the point of the avocado seed (they go in easy).  We took our seed from on avocado from the grocery store.

 Step Two:  Place the seed bottom side of the seed into the jar or cup and the pointed side goes up and is not in the jar.  And fill the jar with water and keep it full of water.


Step three: Wait...It took a couple months for us to get a root.  You may need to peel the brown seed cover off the bottom it helps it root faster.  My daughter broke off part of our root before I could get a picture and so I started growing another one and this one is cracked and you can see the root starting inside.  It's pretty cool.  My mother-in-law started our avocado seed at our house and we have been having fun with them.


Step Four:  Once the root grows pretty big you can start to gradually add soil to the seed and then plant it in a pot you can use it as an indoor plant if you are not in it's ideal environment.  You probably won't get fruit because it won't be pollinated but it will be a nice house plant.

4.) Plants that will grow from themselves...

*Pineapple -
Step One:  Twist and pull out the top of the pineapple (it surprisingly comes out without a knife.)Then pull off the bottom about four layers of "leaves."  and cut off the small bit of pineapple that will be on the bottom when you pull the top out of the pineapple.

 
Step Two: Put the end of the pineapple in some water in a container.  I cut the top off a soda pop bottle.  Do not fill the water up all the way.

 
Step Three:  Watch the roots grow.  You will probably see some already growing once you pull away some of the green and cut off the pineapple.  Let them grow some in the water in the container.  Then you can move them to soil and have a beautiful spiky indoor plant.  You may even get a pineapple if you give it enough time.  My youngest daughter and I were having fun watching video's on YouTube.  Check this one out on the pineapple.

 
* Onion, Potato, and Garlic -

Plant potato underground outside in your garden and let it multiply.  Use some that have already started to root when you didn't use them up in time.  Look at my onion try the same thing with these.  I just had mine in my vegetable bowl on the counter and I didn't use it for awhile and this is what it did.  Plant it in the dirt and let it grow.  The garlic I am most excited about though.  Plant the pointy tip up in some soil in a small pot in the house or even outdoors during growing season and get some fresh home grown garlic.


What are you growing?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment