Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Reinvent Snacks?

I know that I posted a wonderfully well written post on how to present snacks to kids.  If I do say so myself.  But I was presented with a problem and therefore had to find the solution.  My husband presented the problem to me.  He said that we had entirely way too many snacks in the house and he wanted them gone!  Now if you know my husband he is most generally joking.  So I initially shoved it off and kept buying snacks and organizing them like I did.  Okay it was not just initially it was for years.  He began to get persistent so I figured he must be serious.  I asked him about it a bit more and he was very serious about it.  We were spending a lot of money on snacks and the kids were eating too many snacks and not eating their dinner well.  So I said we would give it a go and I would stop buying snacks.  I know what you are thinking.  "Poor women!"  Or poor kids whoever you feel more sorry for.  I did too.  At first it was hard not to just have handy snacks to reach for especially on the go.  I have to admit that I had a bit of a laugh when one of our kids asked to have a snack and dad said yes. hummmm. I wondered what snack fairy had come to visit and ran to the pantry.  No, but really what was he thinking this was his idea after all.

Surprisingly no one wilted away and died.  No one went starving.  We even were satisfied actually.  I, most of all, because everyone ate their dinner!!! What?  I know, now you're jealous!  They were hungry and well fed at dinner, imagine that.

Here is what I did to make it work:
1.)  Vegetables and fruit anytime you want.  "Don't Even Ask!"  That is my response.  If you are hungry you know what you can have.  After all, if you ruin dinner with a carrot I'm not going to be that upset.

2.)  Make treats!  Okay okay a bit counterintuitive but they had healthier home made treats once or twice a week not processed snacks everyday.  We eat them for dessert or for a family home evening snack.

3.)  Eat dinner early!  Dinner is more at 4:30 or 5:00.  The kids are usually pretty hungry after school.     So instead of making them suffer we just eat dinner.

4.)  Put any foods that need to be eaten out on the counter.  It is surprising how fast food is eaten when it is visible and easy to eat.

5.)  Homemade bread!  I also made bread and my kiddos enjoyed it with jelly.  Or I'd make over ripe banana's into banana bread.  There always seems to be a nighttime "snack"  even when I'm not buying snacks.

If you are spending too much money on snacks or your kids are over snacking and they won't eat their dinner.  Try it! At least for awhile and it will change your mindset to what is really essential snacking.  Thanks hubby for the great idea!!

No comments:

Post a Comment